Friday 3 December 2010

The Loft Hatch

I have been looking at images of loft hatches because they are a very familiar thing that could be made to look very ominous. I can remember being frightened of the loft as a child especially when it was open. There is something about that dark rectangle of blackness in the ceiling that I found very disturbing. It always seems to give me the feeling that something is looking back at me. 
I wanted to use images of loft hatches that are very common place and that could be found in anybodys house.  
When searching for images of loft hatches I found these images of bats nesting in someone’s loft. I thought it was quite disturbing. Imagine climbing into the loft to bring the Christmas decorations down and finding ths.


I thought this was a good example of a familiar location being corrupted by an outside element.  These images reminded me of the famous attic scene in Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds (1963).

The Birds Attic Scene

1 comment:

  1. One of the good advantage of loft hatch is that the things which are not regularly used such as airbags, suitcase and many mandatory things which are not used regularly can be stored in loft hatch.So that the house is well cleaned and furnished and things which are not used is also in right place More info.

    ReplyDelete